Wednesday, April 21, 2010

First PCT Experience


On April 18, 2010 I met up with my friend Zac Finley at Scissor's Crossing, which is 77.6 miles into the trail. I meet up with Jill on Friday, April 22 and thought it wouldn't hurt to warm my legs up a bit by hiking with a Yellowstone buddy.

Zac started on April 13 from the very beginning of the trail in Campo, CA. He walked about 17 miles in the heat to meet me at Scissor's Crossing so we hiked about .2 miles to a bridge and camped under it.

While waiting for Zac at the Crossing I hung out at the water cache with Axzilla and Sandman (not Stan Man, woops). An older couple in red truck driving on S2 pulled over for just enough time to wish us look and hand us a few beers. I saved my beer for Zac who, I believe, much appreciated the brewski.

So, it's my first night on the trail and I have to confess, my tent was brand spanking new and I'd never set it up. Zac has the same tent and showed me a few tricks of the trade. I snuggled in with my pack so dew wouldn't get my stuff wet and said good night to my neighbor.

All the sudden I feel something wet under me. The camel back "straw" tube had snuck in between my body and the sleeping pad and leaked everywhere. I had made a nice little waterbed for my self.

Thankfully, I did not get my trail name from that experience.

I'm getting kicked of the computer at Warner Springs. Don't worry, there will be more fun stories to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment