Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Introduction- Why and How I got into this

Summer 2009 I worked in Yellowstone National Park as a cook/hostess and decided I wanted to see a lot more of the West! My friend Jill Osborne, who talked me into working that summer, introduced me to the idea of the Pacific Crest Trail. We both decided to make it happen in the summer 2010. I graduated from UNC-CH in December 2009, worked in St. Louis until April, spent some time with family, and now I'm hitting the trail.

I have to send a shout out to the Staples family and the Balogh's family in St. Louis who were so welcoming and really made me feel at home in a big city! I did not see half the stuff in St. Louis as I could or should have while I was there. There was so much to see and I must say, lots of good food. I worked as a server at Bar Louie in the Central West End and had a blast (I recommend the nachos). Also, if you are in St. Louis, stop by Bar Italia and meet the owners who are all brothers from Ethiopia. The food and company in that restaurant are superb.

So, after St. Louis I spent a week in Birmingham with my cousin Mary Laslie and her family, a week in Texas with my sister Mary Mac and her family, and then a few days in St. Louis with my friend Amy.

Spending time with family was AMAZING. I left feeling so refreshed and encouraged for my adventure... and then I got on a greyhound bus.

Honestly, it was not so bad. I rode on the bus for a total of 34 hours. The first bus I was on had a leak near the emergency exit on the roof which, of course, I was lucky enough to sit beside. We found out about the leak when it started raining 4 hours into the ride. Thankfully, the seat beside me was soaking wet and I stayed dry. This same bus broke down in the beautiful state of Arizona and we hiked to the nearest TA travel center to party from 8 am until 11:30am. I arrived safe and sound in San Diego at 12:45am. What a blast.

I really cannot complain. The next day I ate tons of pizza for lunch, chilled on the beach, and ate a wonderful Mexican meal for dinner (shout out to Amy and her bf for such a wonderful night). I also dyed my hair for the first time. Yes, I ruined the shirt I was wearing and a little hand towel. That stuff is smelly and messy, but my hair is back to dark brown. Just the way I like it.

By the way, I watched Fantastic Mr Fox while I was in San Diego and I highly recommend it to everyone.

I'll be blogging and I'll put pictures up as soon as I can!

2 comments:

  1. what color was your hair before you dyed it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. St Louis moment - dyed her hair w/ RED highlights. Glad she went back to dark side.

    ReplyDelete